- To provide those dancers nearing or at the Preliminary/Open Championship skill level with additional class time.
- To provide leadership opportunities through performances and student mentoring.
- To improve the positive mind-set, follow through on goals, and create better practice habits.
- Have all dances at the competitive prizewinner level and must have placed at least once in all 7 dances.
- Volunteer as a Student Mentor once a term. Opportunities will be posted.
- Volunteer as a Performance Show Captain once a dance year. Opportunities will be posted.
- Participate as a soloist at the Western Reqion Oireachtas. Remember that it is strongly strongly suggested that you participate in 3 competition weekends prior to regionals. There are 7 from June through mid-Oct. 2 are in Washington, 3 are in Oregon, and 2 are in British Columbia.
- Participate in at least 3 competition weekends per dance year. There are 4 opportunities in Washington, 4 in Oregon, and 5 in British Columbia.
CLASS ATTIRE & ATTENDANCE
- Black t-shirts or tanks allowed (preferably plain black or An Daire logo wear. Tank tops must be two finger widths).
- Black shorts must be 2" above knee tops. No leggings.
- Both pairs of shoes plus runners. Poodle socks for girls and black dance socks for boys. No sock glue required.
- Girls: hair must be tidy. Preferably in a bun.
- A heads up for anticipated tardies and absences is always appreciated. If too many classes are missed, then we will have a chat to see what the problem is and how it can be worked out.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What happens if I have trouble meeting the requirements? We will try to problem solve the situation, but it might be that you will just need to step away from the champ class for a term and try again next term.
- Can I still compete solos at regionals if I only get in 2 competition weekends? No. Since there are 7 opportunities, this rule will hold true. You will still have the opportunity to enter the Traditional Set Special.
- Can I still take private lessons? Private lessons will still be available, but on a very limited basis. They will be for active competitive students only 1 month prior to a competition. The Champ program was partially designed to help offset the need for private lessons.
- What happens if I forget my clothes and/or shoes? Can I still dance in class? You can still participate in class. You will be asked to find suitable clothes in the clothing basket. The shoe requirement is for your safety since the shoe provides support and some shock absorption.If you end up dancing without shoes, please take time after class to care for your feet.
- What is a Student Assistant? The student mentor is an opportunity to help out in Beginner Classes. Tasks will include roll-call, warm ups, working with small groups of dancers, and class observations.
- What is a Performance Show Captain? This is an opportunity to help make sure all dancers are present, warm them up and be ready to go. You will also get to see what goes into creating the show line up and other back stage preparations.
- Can I be a Performance Show Captain for more than 1 show? No. In order for all dancers to have an opportunity, it is limited to 1 show. These opportunities are for shows outside of the St Patrick's Show Week.